The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has declared its support of nondiscrimination regulations that would extend protection in matters of housing and employment in Salt Lake City to those with same-sex attraction.
The Church said the Salt Lake City Council’s new nondiscrimination ordinance “is fair and reasonable” and balances fair housing and employment rights with the religious rights of the community.
The remarks, representing the position of the Church’s leadership, were read by Michael Otterson, managing director of Church Public Affairs, as part of a public comment period discussing the ordinances at a Salt Lake City Council meeting tonight. (Read full remarks).
Otterson told city council members: “The issue before you tonight is the right of people to have a roof over their heads and the right to work without being discriminated against. But, importantly, the ordinances also attempts to balance vital issues of religious freedom. In essence, the Church agrees with the approach which Mayor Becker is taking on this matter.”
The Church said that while protections in housing and employment were fair and reasonable, the Church also remains “unequivocally committed to defending the bedrock foundation of marriage between a man and a woman.” Otterson also pointed out that this position was “entirely consistent with the Church’s prior position on these matters.”
Otterson added, “I represent a church that believes in human dignity, in treating others with respect even when we disagree — in fact, especially when we disagree.”
I am quite content with this position from the Church because although the Church does not condone homosexual behavior, the fact that people are being discriminated against because of their preferences, is inherently wrong. Especially here in the United States, where we claim that "all men are created equal." We do not live in a theocratic state such as Iran, where there is a ruling religion and the government is based off of that and their beliefs are shoved down everyone's throats. Not everyone is Christian here in Amuricuh, but does that not make them a citizen? Are they not entitled to the same rights? Everyone has these natural rights as human beings. Beliefs should be irrelevant. What happened to "separation of church and state?"Anyway, those are my two cents. I especially liked the last part, “I represent a church that believes in human dignity, in treating others with respect even when we disagree — in fact, especially when we disagree.” Amen, brother.
Let me know what you all think about the Church coming out and saying this (not like it matters since it's up to the brethren and the big guy) But still...
This is a wonderful step. I only hope that the anti-discrimination laws will extend to Utah as a State as well, and not just Salt Lake City.
ReplyDeleteRight now, I can still legally be fired from my job at BYU for no other reason other than because I have same-sex attraction.
This was brought up in my new testament class and someone commented that one of their friends had said that they couldn’t believe that the church was caving to social pressure. I was floored by this comment because why wouldn’t the church support a law that would help limit discrimination. The church’s position on homosexuals is not to let them have no rights and be treated like lower class citizens, the church’s positions is solely on marriage between a man and a woman. I do not understand why people would think hat a bill that gives people the rights and freedoms they deserve would be caving to social pressure.
ReplyDeleteI liked this article about it: http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/11/the-mormon-move.html
ReplyDeleteAnd either way, it's better than the Catholic Church saying it will refuse to help the poor in DC if gay marriage is passed there! http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/11/AR2009111116943.html?nav=hcmodule&sid=ST2009042801406
I can't believe Christopher could be fired solely for having same gender attraction. I can't believe how ridiculous some people are--just because some has same-gender attraction does not mean they are any less of a person or any less capable than a heterosexual. I'm sick of hearing 'gay' jokes and how homosexuals should be treated like nothing.
ReplyDeleteI am so incredibly happy that the Church came out and made this statement. That last line especially, “I represent a church that believes in human dignity, in treating others with respect even when we disagree — in fact, especially when we disagree.” Gays should not be discriminated against, and I'm proud that the Church is trying to help with that.