Monday, November 16, 2009

I'll Always Be Irish

You've got to love it when stuff you're learning about in class finds a way to sneak into your personal life. Last night, my friends and I were watching an old Disney movie, "The Happiest Millionaire." One of the characters is a 1st-generation immigrant from Ireland to Philidelphia in 1916. I think the clip (and the film) are entertaining, so I'm posting a link to the song. To set it up: The older man is a millionaire who owns some alligators and has a Bible/boxing class in a gym in the backyard. So the first 2:30 minutes are the millionaire talking about the alligators, then it turns to questions about the Bible, boxing, and then patriotism, which leads the immigrant to tell the Biddles about how becoming an American means a lot to him and is adding something to the Irishman he already is. If nothing else, the dancing is a riot. (The part applicable to our class starts at about 2:40, if you want to skip the alligator part) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment