You know what Kevinactula i've heard enough. Does it really matter about skin color. That family seen a young man in need,and helped him. Something you dont see very much these days anymore. If you seen a kid with no where to go or stay would you help him? Would you wanna help that young man to sucess? Thats all they are doing. Your to high and mighty to see that. And thats sad,your the kind of people making this world shit...dont ever say you've never been helped.
kevinatucla - definition of angry black man. Take the chip off your shoulder and get a life. You've obviously showed your sports ignorance by not knowing what 'blind side' even means. I could go on.......
I changed my major just because of this movie. As a minority I can't have this junk be made anymore. This is degrading to all minorities. It's the white people who have the" blind side" and can't see that more and more minorities are running this country as doctors, lawyers, engineers. I guess we don't have much minorities in Film and thanks to Sandra making me angry I will put my brain in Films from now on. Thank you Sandra Bullock for making me angry enough to change things in this country!
she deserves to go to jail for this racist movie. Once again a black man is portrayed as a gorilla who can only succeed in sports and white people are babysitting him to success. The matter of fact is that minorities are much smarter than white trash and we have more minority doctors, engineers, lawyers, business owners. The only thing we don't have is people in movie business who still make junk like this. And I make sure that will change!! I just changed my major from Microbiology to Film!
Wow. That argument is pretty ridiculous. Watching the trailer for this movie I honestly didn't even think about race being the issue. I think it's just showing a boy who has had a rough lifestyle and it could be a black or a white boy. In response to this kevinatucla guy about how every show that has a kid who is struggling is black, I think that is very untrue because I think there are a number of shows that show white kids struggling as well. This may sound retarded to everybody... but one of the shows I thought of was the O.C. how the main character was a white kid who had a horrible life and a family took him in. Obviously there are better examples but that's just one I thought of. I don't think race has to be an issue at all. I think that guy commenting just is making it the issue.
ReplyDeleteI read my comment to by husband and he laughed that I mentioned the O.C. Sorry but that's the only thing I could think of at the moment so don't make fun of me for watching it.
ReplyDeleteJust a thought, but has anyone seen a movie where the roles were reversed? What if it was a black family adopting a white kid? How come we don't see examples like that?
ReplyDeleteI guess I can't think of any... But I would like to believe it isn't because of race. Maybe it is though and I like to think our society is better than that.
ReplyDeleteIn answer to Charlie's comment, we don't see movies where a black family is adopting a white kid because it almost never happens. The truth is there's a disproportionate number of blacks who need to be adopted, and a disproportionate number of white families who are adopting.
ReplyDeleteI agree that we don't see any movies where black families are adopting white kids. However, I think this is a perfect example of society always focusing on the negative things. Blind side is an inspirational movie that has hopefully motivated many people to start noticing the people in need in their own communities. If we are constantly looking for the bad in life, we're going to find it and that is all we are going to see. Or in this case, Kevinatucla, is looking for racism in the world and he's found it. I think he CHOSE to be offended, which many of us do.
ReplyDeleteI just watched this movie and was thoroughly impressed and moved.
ReplyDeleteDavid makes a good point of why we don't see black families adopting white children (although it does happen).
I was playing the devil's advocate on my previous comment and I agree that some people do only see the negative aspects of something like this.
What is interesting about this movie is that it is based on a true story and is very accurate in it's portrayal of Michael Oher's real life (who by the way was drafted in the 1st round of the NFL by the Ravens and has started every game this season). After watching the movie and reading about his life, I am convinced that the white family that adopted him did it out of love, regardless of his race...period!
This is a great sociological movie because it shows where Michael came from and how hard it was for him to succeed. Had it not been for the family adopting him, he would not be in the NFL today.
I really like how the movie talks about the other people who weren't as lucky as Michael. I also found a great quote by Michael himself:
"I am never ashamed of where I came from," Oher said. "Where I came from, a lot of people don't make it out. I think it has made me a tougher person, a better player."
This is a great success story, but let's not forget that he is the exception and that so many people are in very difficult situations that make it almost impossible to succeed in life.
The responses from "kevinatucla" were so surprising to me. Until I read them, I had heard nothing but great things about The Blindside. I've been told it is very moving as it portrays the capacity of human love. I haven't seen it yet, but just watching the trailer provokes emotion within me! But I know he wasn't just commenting on the quality of the movie. His comments were directed towards the film makers who he views as being racist. He believes they are making movies that are "degrading to all minorities."
ReplyDeleteAlthough I do not agree with this angry commenter, reading and thinking about his comments has made me realize how much I have learned in this Multicultural America class. I come from a very white, conservative community. I haven't been out of the country, and I haven't even spent much time out of the suburbs! But in this class, I have benefited so much from reading, hearing, studying, and pondering different viewpoints.
The comments about The Blindside and Sandra Bullock are far out, and do not represent the majority. But I have learned that is important to hear minority voices to better understand the diverse world around us. It is ignorant to know only one side of an issue. I have learned to be curiously engaged in learning and hearing others viewpoints so I can form make my own, more informed, opinions.
The comments by kevintacula were the first negative things I have heard about this movie. I have seen it and I thought it was a very good, inspirational movie. Not once did I think, "Wow, this movie is a little racist." Although it is unfair that there is a disproportionate number of minorities in situations like Big Mike, it is still true so I don't see why it could be considered racist. I agree that kevintacula must have been looking for racism because that is the only way he could have found it. In the movie some people make comments that could be considered racists but then Sandra Bullock stands up to them. Thus I believe that the producers intended for the movie to encourage people to be open minded and to reach out to anyone in need.
ReplyDeleteI also watched this movie and thought it was tasteful and well made. It was also very entertaining and inspiring. I liked it. We may even buy it.
ReplyDeleteThat being said, I can't help but to be a little cynical when I watch movies like this, and although the movie did encourage people to be accepting of all people and reach out to those in need, there will continue to be so many minorities that need help, and people too afraid or rascist to help them. Like Charlie pointed out, Michael Oher is an exception. Most inner city minority children will not reach success because it is almost impossible for them to do so. Unless of course, they can play some sport or sing rap music. I know that the only reason I am in college and succeding in life is because I was born with things some of my friends weren't. Not because they didn't work as hard as me. Unfortunately, movies like this will not change the attitudes millions of people have against minorities, but they do make us feel better about ourselves and entertain us for a couple of hours.
Again, sorry to be so cynical. I really do like these kind of movies. It is just sad that they inspire us, but not really inspire us to change or do something.