Thursday, November 5, 2009
Illegal Mormon Immigrants
This is just a quick comment on what we were talking about yesterday in class, regarding the church giving temple recommends, etc. to undocumented immigrants. Once upon a time, Brigham Young led thousands of refugees fleeing the United States and crossing illegally into Mexico in search of religious freedom, as well as economic prosperity. Today there are many who come for those same reasons from all around the world. We of all people should understand them and embrace them as brothers and sisters, regardless of their circumstances or citizenship.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree. I think as long as they are good members and not committing any heinous crime it shouldn't matter where they are from. But it almost makes it more saddening when something does happen to them though and they have to be deported.
ReplyDeleteI think the church is more interested in the hearts of people than in their status as legal or illegal immigrants. And I agree with what was said above about our ancestors knowing what it feels like to be driven from one place to another due to persecution and how grateful they were when on a few occasions they were welcomed into new areas. I would hope that we can live up to their legacy and offer the same sort of love and support to those fleeing heinous circumstances today.
ReplyDelete