Saturday, November 21, 2009

Interracial commercial

A commercial's attempt to create racial unity. How did they do?


2 comments:

  1. HAHA! Is this commercial a joke? That had to be one of the most awkward commercials ever made. They're trying to create racial unity but why is it just black and white? What about all the people who fall into the "gray" area? I guess everyone else hates The Red House...?

    This commercial was hilariously awkward. They made it more racist by trying to create racial unity.

    Check out 0:25 seconds...has to be the most awkward hand shake I've ever seen.

    But what can you do...I'm colorblind and I love The Red House!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I've been showing this video to all my co-workers, friends and whoever I can find.

    And the reaction is, "Is that even a real commercial? You've got to be kidding me."

    The most laughs are at the handshake (0:25) and at the end when they sing "where black people and white people buy furniture".

    And the hispanic part at the end. That was great. The problem with this commercial is that it completely excludes white women. There's a black woman who says she loves the Red House, and I'm guessing its just not a place for white women?

    The majority of this commercial is dominated by men, which also has a kind of sexist feel to it. Big Head likes to pump iron and furniture into people's homes. Very masculine. The skinny white guy (forgot his name) likes deer hunting and bask fishing. What about less down to earth people who are city slickers? Are they being discriminated against as well?

    This may have been successful if it were not for the music and the comic element of the commercial. I understand that most furniture commercials have to be upbeat, but if they were trying to make a racial fight for unity, it would have been taken more seriously if the commercial had been created more professionally. There's just too many nerves to hit. Especially since they exclude everyone but "black and white".

    But I appreciate the effort they made, if it was not a joke at all. But if it was made for humor, some satire never really hurt society, if only for the better. If this commercial was made for satirical purposes, then I agree to its effectiveness to show the humor of how much people will go to try and have unity.

    People should just stop talking about it and just do it. Perpetuating calls for unity if made should be made seriously.

    But that's looking too deeply into this commercial. I don't think its that deep.

    ReplyDelete