Due to the recent petitions against the church regarding Elder Packer's talk, this statement was released by Michael Otterson.
http://beta-newsroom.lds.org/article/church-mormon-responds-to-human-rights-campaign-petition-same-sex-attraction
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think this news release was very tastefully done. I appreciate this line: "The Church distinguishes between feelings or inclinations on the one hand and behavior on the other. It’s not a sin to have feelings, only in yielding to temptation." It seems to clarify any confusion that Elder Packer's talk could have led to. It is sad that members of the Church sometimes forget the second great commandment: "to love one another," regardless of differences.
ReplyDeleteI think this release was very succinct and well done. I feel that Elder Packer's comments have been grossly taken out of context and blown out of proportion, made to be about something they're not. Mr. Otterson mentions this, and it's a good point. An interesting point: more people have signed online petitions against Elder Packer than Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church. One person preaches love and acceptance, the other hatred and intolerance, very blatantly directed at the GLBT community. That's kind of disturbing. I think the church has done the best it can with the current situation and sentiments with this release.
ReplyDeleteBrittany Christenson
It was really interesting to hear him say that our church is one based on love. Growing up in the church you always hear things like our church is centered around the family or around Christ, but I have never heard it put that way. If you think about it, family has everything to do with love and Christ, of course, was full of love. While this is essentially what we have always believed, this kind of puts a new perspective on the church in my opinion. A perspective that we are very accepting and it is not conditional or an option. We accept everyone for who they are, we just don't accept all of their actions or behaviors.
ReplyDelete"The essence of all religions is love,compassion, and tolerance. Kindness is my true religion. The clear proof of a person’s love of God is if that person genuinely shows love to fellow human beings." ~Dalai Lama
ReplyDeleteI really liked how he addressed the fact that many people will disagree with us, but that we hope that any disagreement will be based on a full understanding of our position in the church. No matter what happens, there will always be opposition to the church's stance because we follow God's will and not the trend of society. I think that it is a huge statement to say that we actually support many gay rights, and that the thing that we really oppose in the church is same sex marriage. I think that this is a statement that nonmembers and members alike don't realize.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this. I especially like the part when we explain that just because we do not support gay marriage doesn't mean we don't support them in other aspects of their rights and how we have openly supported them in property security and in employment. I also like how he stated that feelings are not sin but yielding to the temptation is. I also enjoy that religion is based on love. This statement supported President Packer and clarified people's misinterpretations because that is where all the controversy started is from interpretation of what he said and not what he actually said. Also is states that they do not condone the hate or violence that erupts because of this and also related members experience in the early history of the church and our own persecution. This response was perfect.
ReplyDeleteI loved this video, and I think it did a wonderful job of clarifying the church's views on same-sex attraction. One of the parts that I especially liked was when he talked about how our church has experienced a ton of persecution, and we of all people should be especially kind and loving to those who are being bullied. Another part that I think was very important to express was when he said that the church is openly supportive of other rights for gays and lesbians, and that we love all people. Most importantly, he said that "the church's doctrine is based on love." This is a vital point. Our church is based in love for all, and to not judge others. We as church members are responsible for ALWAYS being kind and loving everyone, no matter what our differences are. I also read an article in the Salt Lake Tribune called "High-Ranking LDS Leader Weighs in on Same-Sex Attraction", and I think it is a great article, and relates to this video. President Uchtdorf focuses on compassion and love, and is an amazing example of being Christ-like and supportive.
ReplyDeleteHere is the article:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/50537493-78/uchtdorf-church-lds-sex.html.csp?page=1
I thought that this was fantastic. I am so glad the church released this! I thought it did an excellent job at clarifying where the LDS church stands on this topic. I agree with everything that was said in this response. When he expressed our support for gay and lesbian's rights, I thought that was interesting but i agree one hundred percent that we will not pass judgment. I also agree with everything that Elder Packer said as well in his talk during General Conference referring to same-sex attraction. I know that what he was saying was revelation from God and that it was a topic that the Lord wanted to be addressed.
ReplyDelete