Thursday, October 7, 2010

Racism in humor on the internet

I had been debating whether or not to post this due to the fact that I go to BYU. This being said, with our culture, many people will not appreciate the tastelessness of these videos. I would just like to post a disclaimer that there is offensive material in this post. Please approach this with an open mind and leave comments with your opinions on the subject.  I'm not trying to raise controversy, I promise.

My friends had recently shown my some videos on Youtube, at first I chuckled at the first video, then further along I was very offended that my friends could laugh at things so horrendous. After a heated debate with them, they had  left me with a serious question, how could I laugh at one of the videos and get offended at the others?

Now before you view these, I have to warn you that this content IS offensive in many ways. The only reason I'm posting this is to ask, what makes racist humor appropriate? Why do people find these things funny? Where can and do we draw the line and just say "This is inappropriate."

While I do have my own opinion, I'll do my best to withhold it. I'll let you decide the level of racism in each.

I would like to state a warning for you to watch at your own risk. If you do watch these videos, make sure you do so with a critical mind and please comment on what you think makes people find that they can joke about things like this.

First I was shown this video from the onion.

Warning: May be offensive



Afterwards, they had started to shown the more offensive videos. I'm not going to lie....these are downright racist and stupid. How can BYU students laugh at videos like these?

Warning: ARE offensive!



Do not watch this one if you are offended by foul language! I avoided embedding this video for a reason.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5JMuemI9fM

Again, where do we draw the line and why do people laugh at racism?

2 comments:

  1. I was first shown the ET clip in a class at BYU-Idaho in a similar class to this one. I think it's interesting how we treat such videos so lightly. But I think it eludes to something that some Americans do, which is taking immigrants and making them "pets". They somehow think that they are helping the immigrants and giving them what they want, when in reality they are keeping from the very things they want. The lady mentions that her family will be worried about her and yet no one seems to care; they continue to force her to behave in ridiculous ways. Or that employers feel that they are giving them a better lifestyle, but no one deserves to be ridiculed in any society. I realize this is just a video clip, but I think this type of behavior occurs more than what we want to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not find this offensive at all. In fact, most of these clips were quite funny to me. My family often makes racist jokes but we all understand that the jokes are not a serious representation of how we think. I am a firm believer that people have grown too sensitive. I think this is due to the availability of information. It is so easy now to find things on the internet, TV, newspapers, and other sources that can offend us. Society has grown hypersensitive to anything that is not politically correct. People tip-toe around issues so much in order not to offend anyone. I wish the fear of offending someone was less rampant.

    I know I'm a jerk. I accept it and would have it no other way, but quite frankly, I get more joy out of life than those who are too afraid to talk because they might hurt someone's feelings.

    ReplyDelete