If I could pick one thing that Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift have in common, it would be that neither one is a great singer. Even so, they have managed to live their dreams of being in the music industry.
In my opinion, both started out as very sweet innocent girls. Here are two clips from a few years ago that I believe display what I mean:
Both girls have had much success and popularity since the time of these performances. Fame can be a dangerous thing though. Look at pop stars such as Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears. Disagree all you want, but I’m sure the majority feel that Miley Cyrus is following down their path.
This makes me very disappointed. Other popular artists such as Ke$ha, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga have rather outrageous performances, most of which I (as well as I’m sure many others) feel uncomfortable watching. However, these pop stars are the ones who are getting positive attention and drawing in fans. Perhaps that has influenced Miley to have rather risqué performances as well. It seems that these artists have lost a love for music and, rather, have gained a love for attention and fame. If you don’t agree then take a look back at the video and look at Miley’s eyes. I think if one was truly happy and loving what they were doing then there would be a light shining in their eyes. To me, it seems Miley no longer has that light.
Yes, I will admit I don’t think Taylor Swift is a great singer. I think one of the reasons people like her so much is because she is still a sweet, innocent, down-to-earth individual. She’s a very likable person and even if people aren’t a fan of her music, I think they have at least a little bit of an appreciation for her. I feel that she sings with her heart and that it shows in her performances. I admire that she actually writes her own songs. You can tell that it’s her passion and that’s why she’s in the music industry.
I don’t mean to come across as disliking Miley and loving Taylor (which may or may not be true), but I think it is interesting how, despite not being the greatest of singers, both have been able to become successful and popular. Unlike many other pop stars, Taylor has done it without changing her character (and essentially losing herself) to please her audience.
Monday, October 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is pretty sad that Miley's current justification for her new (super sketchy) videos is that she's "becoming her own person" and "growing up." I think it's more a sad commentary about our society than anything that "growing up" means wearing virtually no clothing and rolling around on the floor, or sometimes much worse. These girls are supposed to be role models (that's what they've been marketed as for years) and yet they don't care when they offend their young fan base. Miley even went so far as to say that she can't always please and write songs for young girls. Goes to show you how much these girls appreciate those who made them famous in the first place.
ReplyDeleteBrittany Christenson
I have three younger sisters in my family (10,16, and 19 years old) and when I left on my mission two years ago it would have been pretty safe to say that they were all obsessed with Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift. They loved them both to pieces and knew everything about them. When I returned this past June things were different. Taylor Swift had become even more loved and there were, somehow, more pictures of her in their rooms. Miley Cyrus on the other hand was never mentioned. When I asked about it I found out what has been portrayed in this post about Miley. It is unfortunate that young girls who grew up with her as a role model are now exposed to the "new Miley" and will be negatively affected by her decisions. My sisters were fortunate enough to shy away from it, but the rest of society? It is reasonable to say that our societies standards are portrayed by popular media, and the outlook isn't good.
ReplyDelete