Monday, October 26, 2009

Hate Groups and Religious Extremism

I apologize for the strong language and potentially offensive material. The first ten minutes is especially difficult to watch, but the rest is fascinating.



"The Most Hated Family in America" is a documentary concerning the Westboro Baptist Church. Made in 2007 by the BBC, reporter Louis Theroux follows the church membership through their daily activities, such as picketing soldier's funerals with signs saying "God Hates Fags."

"In their world, being hated was proof they were doing the right thing."
Does this sound familiar?

In my view, the Phelps family has dug themselves into a paradox. While they proclaim that America is doomed and its armed-forces promote sodomy, it is the very government they protest that protects their right to say so. They are currently not allowed to enter the United Kingdom.

Do you think the government should have laws prohibiting these kinds of demonstrations? The US has laws that prohibit hate speech in public institutions. In some way, this documentary makes me a little more patriotic, for it is the most extreme freedom of speech - a reminder that we, as citizens, have the right to openly speak. Some say it is not for us to judge them; do you think that is dancing around the issue?

I also found this clip interesting. It is from the 2006 documentary "Jesus Camp."


What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. These people are absolutely crazy. I'm not saying that I agree with the homosexual lifestyle, but these people are just over the top. The soldiers are out there fighting for the freedom for people and these people are condemning that. This group obviously does not really understand God. If they did, they would know that God doesn't hate America or the soldiers that are fighting to protect us. God does not hate at all. God loves everyone. He may not agree with some of the choices we make in life, but that is where the power of the atonement comes into play. We are also not supposed to judge others, which is exactly what these people are doing. I am just in so much disbelief that I can't even properly express my feelings. People that don't make the right choices and don't believe in the Bible, etc aren't automatically going to hell. These people are ridiculous!!! They are so judgmental and they are going to have to face that same harsh judgment later.
    Moroni 7:18 "...see that ye do not judge wrongfully; for with that same judgment which ye judge ye shall also be judged."
    I don't know how else to express the fact that I am completely appalled by these people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was hard to watch, although it is very educational. They kept flashing "Brainwashing" across the screen and while that is true, it is also socialization. The part where the reporter is talking with the little boy about the sign that he is holding gives some good insight into how kids are socialized into believing just about anything you want them to. It seems to me like the "granpa" is the ringleader and started all of this. All I can say is God have mercy on his soul, because his actions are affecting so many people in a negative way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I see one of the Phelps family on TV (or online), I'm creeped out beyond words.

    "'In their world, being hated was proof they were doing the right thing.'
    Does this sound familiar?"

    A lot of people see LDS members as a similar group. We need to make sure we don't reinforce the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Friendship of the world is enmity to God."

    It's not the world itself that is God's enemy, because God loves the world that he created. It's worldliness that God doesn't like.

    I also think that it's crazy how the Phelp's family claims that they are firm follwers of the Bible, but the Bible tells us that God loves everyone, even the sinners. How can they say that they support the Bible when their message so clearly opposes it?

    One other thing that kind of disconcerted me about the Phelps family was that on their posters and signs they were using the pink triangle, the Nazi symbol for homosexuality. It blows my mind to think that they would actually use something from one of the world's greatest atrocities as a symbol to support their religious beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the phrase that best describes my reaction was... "holy crap". That was astounding. There was so much hatred and enmity within those people and their message. God is a God of love. It's almost as if they are ignoring the whole New Testament, and are only following the Mosaic Law.
    Another thought I had was about how the girls are being greatly discouraged (forbidden) from dating or considering getting married, but somehow I doubt that when the boys grow up, they'll be held to that same standard.
    I wish the documentary had included some interviews with the children who have left the church, to see the reasons why.
    I found the Grandpa and the leader-daughter beyond offensive and insulting. They said their mission is to warn, but not to win souls to Christ. Does that mean that people can never change? Do they ignore the whole Atonement thing, the whole reason Christ came at all? What kind of "courtesy" is that? "Well, you're screwed, just wanted to let you know!" Thanks. Thanks oh so very, very much..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone who claims to be of God and then have so much hatred. Our Father in Heaven is not a God of hate. He is a God of love. I thought religious groups were to uplift others and serve, but this group seems to bring others down and condemn them. Even when we sin we still have self-worth (it is our worthiness that changes) and nothing can take that away because the Savior paid the price of sin so that we can repent and become clean again. God will always love us no matter what we do. He still wants us to do what is right and keep the commandments, but when we fall short he does not hate us.

    I was very surprised by the teenagers’ responses. I don’t know how in the world the girls thought they were nice when they were judging others and telling them they were going to hell. If they see others falling into sin and know it brings unhappiness, shouldn’t they try to be an example and help them do what is right instead of just condemn them? Maybe they thought they were helping them by letting them know where their action would lead them, but usually people don’t change when they are criticized. People change when they feel loved and are given positive encouragement.

    One girl showing her room to the journalist pointed out a picture that showed the wrath of God and said it was awesome. When I use the words “awesome” and “God” in the same sentence I am usually talking about the miracles of God that help his children and that show his love, especially the sacrifice of his son who performed the atonement. Although God may extend his wrath, I don’t rejoice at it and I’m sure God doesn’t either. He loves his children and wants so badly for them to do what is right so they can live with him once more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is quite disturbing. It is hard to believe that people really think like this. It almost seemed like they were faking it at some points when they laughed and smiled about their hateful positions...maybe they are just that confused. I have always wondered how children our raised to believe these extreme positions but this video was a prime example of that. The kids in this video didn't even understand what their signs meant, when asked, they would spout out some memorized doctrine implanted from their mother. It was sick. One comment I do have is why, in this class and on this blog, do we only focus on examples of conservative extremism? What about the "crazy" liberals? Even though there are quite a few out spoken liberals in this class, including Charlie :)let's keep it balanced!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I was watching this video I couldn’t believe what these people were saying. I kept thinking to myself, there is no way they could actually believe this, but as the episode progressed it became clear to me that they actually really do believe this. They kept saying “read the bible” as proof of rightness of their ways. I guess they just missed the parts in the bible about Christ-like love, repentance, a higher law, etc. They believe that gay people should die in accordance with the Mosaic code. What happened to Christ presenting a higher law? I guess they just didn’t read that part. The patriarch said that Billy Gram was headed irreversibly to hell. I guess they also missed the part about repentance too. It just goes to show the power of socialization and group think. I think that the hatred of the outside world actually unites the group because to them it is a testament that they are doing the right thing. They bond together under this pretense that it is them against the world which causes them to abandon all reason. It is scary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trisha: I could be wrong, but I don't think these guys identify with Conservatives any more than Liberals. They seem to hate absolutely everything and everyone equally.

    ReplyDelete