Monday, October 19, 2009

Health Care Debate... Whats even going on?!

So the current poll has got me thinking about the health care debate. What would I advise my legislators to do? I've decided. READ THE BILL!!! There has been so many scare tactics, propaganda, etc. that is has become practically impossible to figure out whats really going on. Public Option or no? What the heck is this about death panels? Illegal immigrants? How much in taxes? Its ridiculous. And on top of all of this confusion, the President has been asking Congress to push this through ASAP because it's apparently that important. Well Mr./Mrs. Congressman, this is what I have to say...

READ THE BILL!!! It is obvious that something needs to be done to reform our current healthcare system. Costs are rising without a parallel rise in quality of care (in fact, it might even be a decrease). We, the people, have elected you to represent us in the decision making process. We are too busy to read every bill and policy that needs to be passed, so we have elected you to get all of the information, come back and talk it over with us, and then make the decision that you feel is best for our nation. Please don't ram this bill through for the sake of reform, whether or not its actually going to help. Take the time to create a system that will work, long-term, for all of us.

Do I ask too much?

8 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea. Let's get the real story on what exactly would happen if the bill was passed. Just the fact that the president asks for it to be passed ASAP kind of scares me though. I never really trusted Obama but the more I hear the more I wonder what he has under his hat. Why would he want the health care bill passed ASAP when we have been doing just fine without it for so long? Can't we take time to really discuss it and weigh the consequences? The fact that he doesn't want to take that time has me thinking that there is something he is hiding and doesn't want us to find it before it is too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition to the push to get this signed into law as soon as possible, the 13-10 committee vote to prevent the bill from being posted online is particularly alarming. Max Bauchus' draft of the bill which is 1,502 pages long, is only one of 5 massive documents seeking to "reform" healthcare in this country. Drummerboy makes very valid arguments in this post, but sadly, I would be extremely surprised to see more than 2 or 3 addressed in the coming debate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree with the post, but I also think we need to educate ourselves as well. It is a difficult task indeed, but thankfully This American Life has taken up this task in the last couple of weeks in a way that is entertaining and educational at the same time. Check out the following stories about our healthcare system:

    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1320

    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=392

    Now, why the rush? I'm not naive enough to believe that there isn't a political motive, but there is also a real need. Since our recent recession, 4.5 million Americans have lost their jobs and their health insurance. I think it is clear that the system we have is not doing just fine...there is consensus on both sides of the political aisle that something needs to be done. Here is an hour long video from Frontline that shows why we need to fix our system:

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sickaroundamerica/view/

    Finally, for one more perspective it is helpful to see how other countries do it. We are the only industrialized nation in the world that does not have a national health plan. Frontline also has a series of videos called Sick Around the World, which features different countries health plans (both the advantages and the disadvantages):

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sickaroundtheworld/

    One last thought. Regardless of the plan that Congress settles on (and I'm sure there will be lots of issues to deal with with any policy we decide upon) I will be happy if we can finally have a plan that will cover the millions of uninsured people in the United States. The saddest thing is that the single most affected group in this pool of uninsured people are children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's funny that "read the bill" is the best advice you can give our representatives. You can read various versions of the bill including H.R. 3200 and provide better feedback than "read the bill." The urgency congress is taking to fix health care is because 60% of our federal spending goes to health care and entitlements. So in talking about reducing the deficit YOY, health care is a huge part of what's bankrupting our nation from top to bottom.

    What should worry us is that 40k American deaths a year are directly attributed to lack of health care for a number of reasons, preexisting conditions, sky rocketing premiums, unemployment, employer lay offs,deductibles, and denial of coverage are some of those reasons. Think for a second, the 2 years we were on our missions, 80k Americans died because of our broken system, almost twice the number of Americans that died during the Vietnam War.

    Sadly, I know no one cares about the deaths, so we talk about money, fine. Health care rises 6 points above inflation every year, do the math, its getting more expensive and more expensive every year. With rising costs, the working man can't afford insurance, and the employer also has to cut costs, so he lays off and downsizes to reduce his overhead. Health care costs have directly contributed to rising unemployment, foreclosures, welfare, and homelessness.

    So, is there a political motive? of course, when isn't there a political motive. However, let the politicians be politicians, and step back and look at the big picture, this has to change regardless. This has nothing to do with Obama, or talking points, or secret motives, this is about fixing our economy, and financially saving Americans, not mention physically saving many of those uninsured. If none of these measures pass, we will ALL pay for it in coming years, regardless of party.

    In reality, we haven't been doing fine without it, most people are only happy about their health insurance if they've never been sick or are employed with benefits (which in a recession is considered a commodity), its only a matter of time. If you had to see 40k, almost a full lavell edwards stadium, die every year, you'd realize things aren't exactly peachy for all Americans. It's urgent because this debate is 16 years old (64 years if you cout FDR), not exactly "rushing it" by any terms.

    Having worked in a congressional office, I assure you that Congressman and Senators do read the bills, I suggest we do the same...

    thomas.loc.gov

    read away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, MrDrummerboy717, we have not elected officials to "make the decision [they] feel is best for the nation", but rather have elected them to put forth the decisions we have made concern issues and to represent our views concerning issues not make unilateral decisions in behalf of their constituents.

    Second, sereen, I found it interesting how you used "we" and "us" in your argument. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but what group are you defining as "we" or "us"--Mormons, college students, U.S. citizens and permanent residents, or White middle-class individuals born with the privilege and luxury of health care? Who? As the previous two commentators pointed out, the system isn't working for a large number of citizens without insurance not to mention the under-insured, those with insurance but not enough to prevent bankruptcy from the usury-like prices of health care. But I really just don't know who you are referring to when you use "we" and "us" and it is bothering me. Could you explain because I don't see how three of these groups have been doing fine for so long?

    Third, Michael, why is it so "alarming" that Congress and the President are trying to do their job? Should we not praise the government for actually trying to perform their function? I understand many feel that the old adage, "That government is best that governs least" (Thomas Paine) is gospel truth, it is a luxury, much like health insurance that only those with power and influence can afford.

    Fourth, Charlie, I think it is a very good point to see how other nations provide health care to their citizens. The need is real.

    Fifth, CynicalBlue, some very good points. I disagree that it has "nothing to do with Obama" though because every President and every politician wants to do things that make them stand out as they are in office. Mostly because they want and need to be re-elected. But your points about the severity of the need is well taken and articulated well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sereen,

    I would like to disagree with you about what you said. The health care system in the US is NOT working fine. If it were, then our country wouldn't have 47 million people uninsured. Health care should be a right for people, not a privilege that only the wealthy and middle class can afford. After all, people have the right to live, don't they? And isn't health care a big part of keeping people alive? As for your concerns with Obama hiding some kind of a conspiracy, I also disagree. If you look at the history of health care, it didn't exactly come into fruition through long and thoughtful conversations among the American public. Instead, like a lot of things in this country, it was sort of slapped together with a hodgepodge of incentives offered by hospitals and companies mixed in with a few laws to keep it from totally spiraling out of control. With that in mind, its no wonder people are so anxious to fix it - because we didn't really create it! Obama isn't trying trick the American people into something they don't understand or see, he is trying to protect the people that he, as President, has sworn to protect - including (and especially) the poor and disadvantaged.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The current healthcare system is in desperate need of reform and there isn't much room for logical dispute about that. The manner in which the reform should occur is the real matter to be discussed here.

    The simple fact is that, although in theory a national health care plan where everyone is covered for everything and prices go down at the same time sounds wonderful, it's wholly unrealistic. The current government attempt at healthcare, Medicare, has proven to be a failure. It doesn't have enough funds to cover a majority of people, so why should we expect the government to do any better the second time around? The reason for the problems with our current healthcare system is not a lack of government intervention but is due to government intervention. It limits competition (which provides the low prices everyone needs) by prohibiting inter-state healthcare, and causes healthcare prices to skyrocket by forcing them to cover every possible ailment known to man....and then some. For example, healthcare that doesn't cover sex-changes, aroma therapy, acupuncture, etc., are not allowed in many states. I for one, don't wish to be a few more trillion dollars in debt for everyone to be able to go to the doctor because they have a cold....which is exactly what will happen. Not to mention that abortions, sex changes, and many other such practices will most assuredly be covered in this new healthcare plan. Which, again, I don't feel that I should be obligated to pay for.

    The reality is that the majority of the time that the government steps in, quality steps out. The last time that our government tried to step in and "fix" a problem was when we tried to regulate the price of oil back in the 60's. Yeah, that worked out well. Personally I don't want to be stuck in hour long waits to receive rationed healthcare....which is exactly what it will be.

    So, the basic option here is that we either allow people to freely choose how they spend their money and where, or we take it from them through taxes and manage it for them. I was born into a free country, and I'd like for it to remain that way. If you really want to help the situation, allow for more competition. Don't create a government monopoly, because that only leads to wasted funds, higher national debt, and a lack of quality care. Yes, there are many poor people out there, I know, I am one of them. And I know how hard it is to find healthcare, I've had to do it. So I can empathize with those who have landed on hard times, but at the same time I have seen first hand in Argentina that socialized healthcare is a flop. So I say, reform? YES! A national governmental monopoly? Definitely not!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that the politicians need to read the bill, but I also agree that we need to be educated about the issues so that we know what is going on. If we rely solely on politicians/the media to gain or knowledge on issues (including health care reform), our views will be skewed and we will never learn to think for ourselves and decide what our personal views are on the subject. Also, we choose our political leaders by voting for them, so we need to be at least partially informed on the issues so that we can knowingly vote for the person that has the views/policies that you agree with the most. No one will agree with us completely, but without being educated there is no way to put leaders in power that we know think similarly to us.

    I agree that we do need change in the health system in the US. However, while I am not sure what would be the best solution, I do not think that a national reform and government controlled health care is the answer. I think that congress, including President Obama, are trying to push the bill through legislation way too fast for such an expensive bill that would drastically change the way health care is run overnight. Plus, I don't think our economy could handle health care overhaul, but that is a whole other story.

    I read a comment online the other day about government getting involved in health care. It was in relationship to extremely long lines forming for H1N1 vaccinations at local health departments (government run). The person said something to the extent that them standing in the line for several hours waiting to get vaccinated showed them that the government should not be involved in health care.

    I wish that all people could have health insurance and receive quality health care, but I do not think that health care being run by the government will help anything. If anything, it will make lines longer and cause the quality of health care to decrease.

    ReplyDelete