Here is the description of the costume from the manufacturer's website:
Description:
He didn't just cross a border, he crossed a galaxy! He's got his green card, but it's from another planet! Sure to get some laughs, the Illegal Alien Adult Costume includes an orange prison-style jumpsuit with "Illegal Alien" printed on the front, an alien mask and a "green card".
"The only people getting upset are the hyper-sensitive, over-politically correct, pro-amnesty, illegal alien-supporting nuts," said Gheen. "You can't attack people's freedom in this country."
I guess I fall into the 'hyper-sensitive, over-politically correct, pro-amnesty, illegal alien-supporting nuts' camp. I'm just frustrated with all of the misinformation about undocumented immigrants, not to mention the prison jumpsuit that comes with this costume. Most Americans already think that undocumented immigrants are criminals, and this costume doesn't do anything but strengthen that stereotype. Here's an interesting fact: 1st generation Mexicans are less likely to commit crimes than native-born white, and that is on a national scale.

I agree with Andrea Hill that it is very distasteful. And there are those that can be really offended by the costume. It is an obvious poke at immigrants being different and it almost shows them as harmful criminals.
ReplyDeleteI also think that it is interesting to think about how this has had such a strong reaction and was eventually taken off the shelves, but what about other costumes that may poke fun at different ethnicities or politicians? I guess for politicians they put themselves in the situation could be an argument. But costumes can be harmful to many people that we maybe don't think about as often as we should.
But after all it is Halloween so where's the fun in being politically correct right? (That's not my opinion. That's just an argument.)
I thought they were referred to as illegal immigrants not illegal aliens???
ReplyDeleteEither way it could be offensive to some but somehow I would not have connected the two.
You are correct Jessica, it is a crime to come into this country without papers, but it is only a misdemeanor. By the way, it's also a misdemeanor to speed, and yet we all speed. Maybe we should start calling people with speeding tickets "illegal drivers."
ReplyDeleteOne more thing, many people do associate undocumented immigrants with violent crimes and property crimes. All you have to do is listen to the likes of Bill O'Reilly and Lou Dobbs, not to mention our own state representative Chris Herod.
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI think that perhaps you may want to think about how you define what a "criminal" is. Is it, as you suggest, someone who breaks laws? Any laws? As Charlie pointed out, crossing the border is only a misdemeanor, like speeding, so are speeders also criminals? Let me complicate the situation by posing this question: would you break laws to help your family survive? Many of the immigrants who come here do so to work and send the money back to their families living in impoverished conditions. Would you do the same? If it came down to it, and you had the choice of of either letting your family starve to death (legally) or crossing the boarder to another country to find work to buy food (illegally), would you really choose death over taking a risk at survival? I think what the law fails to address is exactly WHY people are crossing the borders into our country. Clearly, there are bigger problems in the world than whether or not people are coming into our country with the correct papers and documents. We must address the reasons why they came here in the first place before we start unjustly labeling them as criminals.
I think that if somebody is going to do something illegal (like in this case crossing the border without authorization), they need to realize that it IS a crime regardless of their reasoning (which I agree in this case can be very moving and noble, like to help out their families)....and that people are probably going to make a big deal out of the situation--whether it be in a political settting, or wearing a halloween costume depicting them.
ReplyDeleteMaybe I'm somewhat heartless, but I just see it as another halloween costume that will get a good second look; a halloween costume that depicts something that is happening in real life. Not that I would wear it (I'm not that bold), but I guess I don't see the huge problem that others do with it.
I wonder how people would feel if somebody made a Mormon costume that had something to do with polygamy. Just a thought.
ReplyDeleteI definately agree that this costume is offensive. However, I think it comes down to the chioce of whether or not we choose to be offended. It is so easy for people to get their feelings hurt and find reasons to be angry. Last Halloween I came across a few groups of Mormons who dressed as polygamists. I'm sure many people were offended by this, but I personally think we need to be more willing to let things go. I think it is important to have an opinion and voice it when necessary, but I also think there are so many issues that are of greater importance than an offensive Halloween costume.
ReplyDeleteI dont really like this costume. I think it is stereotyping all illegal immigrants into one category, of being completely foreign or outsiders. I agree with Charlie. I grew up in an area where they were a lot of immigrants and they are good people who are loyal to their friend and family. We need to impliment some type of policy to regulate our boarders, but having things this do not good for anyone.
ReplyDelete