Friday, November 12, 2010

Student told to take U.S. flag off bike

DENAIR, Calif., Nov. 11 (UPI) -- Officials in a California school district said a middle school student was told to take a U.S. flag off his bike to avoid "racial tension."
Denair Unified School District Superintendent Edward Parraz said Cody Alicea, 13, was told not to fly the U.S. flag from his bike while at Denair Middle School after complaints from other students, KCRA-TV, Sacramento, Calif., reported.
"(The) First Amendment is important," Parraz said. "We want the kids to respect it, understand it, and with that comes a responsibility."
Parraz said racial tensions boiled over at the school this year around the Cinco de Mayo holiday.
"Our Hispanic, you know, kids will, you know, bring their Mexican flags and they'll display it, and then of course the kids would do the American flag situation, and it does cause kind of a racial tension which we don't really want," Parraz said. "We want them to appreciate the cultures."
Alicea's parents said he flies the flag from his bike as a tribute to veterans in his family.
"He's got that flag on his bike because he's proud of where he comes from," Alicea's father, Robert Kisner, said.
Alicea folds up the flag and keeps it in his backpack while attend class, the TV station said.

6 comments:

  1. That is intense. I cannot believe how far we must have come to be censored in bearing the flag of our nation. In most cases I do not believe we should limit other people from being proud of and supporting their culture and heritage. The local leaders banning flags from the school ground is sending the wrong message; it is not addressing this tension, but rather ignoring it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this article outrageous! It is a sad reality that we can't even celebrate our country by simply putting the American Flag on a child's bike because it might cause tension. If people of other culture and origin don't like it, they can go back to where they come from. This is America and they need to respect our country and what we stand for. I agree with the comment above, this sort of thing should be addressed and not ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this is ridiculous to have school children remove American flags because it can cause tension. It's a sad reality that our schools will not allow flags to be flown to celebrate America- a country where many different cultures and ethnicities have come together to live. In a way, celebrating America represents the celebration of every culture. Our country is not perfect with it's immigration laws and other myriad of issues, but that does not mean that we should not stand behind it and celebrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbelievable. Imagine for a moment Francis Scott Key witnessing this event. What would he say about this, after he penned the moving lyrics of our national anthem as the smoke cleared on that morning of September 14. Imagine the marines who raised the flag on Iwo Jima, during the heat of WWII, and then later gave their lives for it, witnessing this event. Imagine the numerous soldiers who have also given their lives and now lie in Arlington National Cemetery hearing of this event. What would they say? Doubtless they would be displeased. What American with an ounce of patriotism would not be displeased? I have nothing against others being supportive of their background and history by displaying flags, I think it's great. But complaining of or being offended by the flag of a country under whom you stand protected by is incredulous! The act of removing the flag is even more beyond belief.

    Maybe our country and it's citizens need to be entered into a refresher course on the history of America and why it is unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly cannot believe this article. For America to not allow a child to fly its own flag is absolutely outrageous. I can't believe that our country has gone as far as this. Flying the American flag honors America, and in no way should offend anyone. I am personally okay with anyone flying whatever flag they want in America because America is supposed to be the land of the free, where people have the freedom to express themselves and their beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "We want them to appreciate the cultures"?? This is absurd. I worry about the direction our country heads when we can't freely express our beliefs. This poor kid being chastised for his American spirit & support of the flag is a looking glass into even greater problems we face. Although tolerance is important, there comes a point when it goes too far, and I think this story demonstrates that. In America, I can't comprehend why we would ever, under any circumstance, discourage our citizens from exercising their First Amendment rights in support of country and what America stands for. Too much tolerance is not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete