Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Difference Between Men and Women

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGoC8FTLKSI

This a clip from Friends right after Ross kisses Rachel for the first time. It illustrates the typical gender stereotypes that exist in America and are projected by the Media. It states that females are emotional and sensitive and men are cold and unconnected when it comes to emotions and relationships. It is interesting that not only are they projected, but they are followed as a result of their projection.

3 comments:

  1. I thought that this was a funny clip from friends. I thought it was humorous that the girls reacted in the way that they did, and also that the guys talked in the way that they did. I think that the post written with this video is fairly accurate in that there are many men and women that follow that portrayal depicted in the video clip. I also think that both sides were exaggerated though. Although there are distinct differences between men and women, I don't think that that is such a bad thing. Some men are more emotional and willing to share feelings and experiences, and some women are the opposite, not willing to share feelings at all. In the end, I felt like the video fulfilled its purpose in the idea of it creating humor to an audience that sees to some degree truth in the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, but I do think that this clip accurately portrays the reactions women and men take because of their gender. Although there are exceptions and not every man or woman actly like this, most can relate. I have seen this kind of behavior of girls many times with my roomates and friends. It is a BIG deal. Guys usually are short and to the point and girls like to drag out the details and relive the drama. I am not saying that guys won't tell each other all the details, but girls because of their gender are seen as being more dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read this I was thinking about those children who feel their biological body does not fit who they really are. Gender roles are so interesting to me because why is it that guys play with trucks and girls play with dolls. I always thought that girls love dolls so much because they are born with nurturing abilities. But then again, some girls are not so does that mean they are meant to be a guy. I think that if people did not make such a big deal about who has which role, people could be people and those kids would not feel the need to get a sex change and what not.

    ReplyDelete