Saturday, January 29, 2011

From Gangs to Green Collar

From Gangs to Green Collar
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=6932000


I grew up in Southern California and I witnessed personally how gangs can affect a family. With more immigrants coming into this country, there will be an increase of gang activity. A lack of education and goals drives many adolescents into gang involvement.

How about those who want to reform? Does society have a place for felons and reformed gangsters? I know for a fact that it is almost impossible to get a job as a convicted felon. This creates a cycle of illegal activity and frequent incarceration. Is there social mobility even for those deemed by society as delinquents?

2 comments:

  1. I feel that there are plenty of opportunities available for committed criminals to receive rehabilitation. Reduced sentences for drug crimes. More job training and rehabilitation programs for nonviolent offenders. Expanded alternatives to doing hard time. These ideas are central to a strategy being packaged as "conservative criminal justice reform," in an effort to rein in budget-busting corrections costs. The government is doing a lot in order to prevent criminals from staying in the penitentiary system. I feel that the problem with gang violence is that the minorities are trying to feel accepted and the only way they find acceptance is in gangs. The key is to teach children when they are really young the importance of education and give them opportunities to succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem with immigrants and gangs isn't the immigrants coming to the US. Of course, parents can try to teach the children if they have time to do so. Most immigrants, especially from Mexico, Central America and Southern America, work their butts off so that their children can have education and have things they need. They work two or three jobs to support their families. Of course, it would be nice for them to stay home to teach their children but they just simply can't. So what do kids do since no one's home? They just hang out with their friends and some of them are already involved with gangs or they know someone from a gang.
    That's only the first generation in the US. The second generations who were already involved in drugs or gangs don't care what their kids are into. I've seen both of these cases on my mission in LA, CA.
    In reality, parents can't teach the children because they either work way too much or simply don't care. Also I believe that many children don't care if they have the opportunities or not. They simply don't care. They are focused so much on "now" than "later." From what I've seen the youth choose to be ignorant and be involved in gang activities, not because of some missed opportunities or lack of education.

    ReplyDelete