Tuesday, January 25, 2011

No way to lose: Gay Rights

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/opinion/23savage.html?ref=homosexuality
The editorial director, Dan Savage, claims that we all should save our time and money by approving the gay rights. He states, "Gay Americans are eventually going to win..." so why not just legalize gay marriage and let all of us not spend anymore time on this matter. He uses a stat on how most Americans support the same sex-marriage so eventually the same-sex marriage will be legalized.

I can't really argue with Savage because I think what he said is true. As the time passes, more people will accept homosexuality and will believe that they should be able to marry someone they love. It's happening all around the world. As Savage even mentions, Canada already legalized the same-sex marriage so it's not an "issue" anymore in Canada. So should Mormons just sit back and let this happen? Should we just not "waste" our time and money because it's going to happen no matter what?

I remember hearing a comment from a missionary on my mission. He said that the Proposition 8 was like separating chaff from grain. (You can agree or disagree.) It is to see who is willing to follow the prophet no matter how difficult it is for the member of the Church. Of course, there are far more non-members of the Church than the members of the Church so it is very possible that the same-sex marriage will be legalized; however, I don't think that's the real issue for the members of the Church. What really matters is "are we willing to do what the prophets, seers and revelators tell us to do?"

3 comments:

  1. Honestly I don't believe that we should just "give up" like Mr. Savage said we should. We have standards, and we must uphold them no matter what the world does (and if that means that we would have to be the only people in America to vote against gay marriage, then so be it.)

    Now homosexual people obviously want to have the same rights to marriage than heterosexual people do. This is where our wonderful democracy comes into play, as we as a nation get to decide whether or not we want to institute same-sex marriage. Therefore we, as members of the Latter-Day Saint Church, should uphold the beliefs of the Church by voting against same-sex marriage, even if (or when) it becomes a losing cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we shouldn't give up. When you believe in something you need to stand and fight no matter how hard the opposition becomes. We all have things we want and we shouldn't just sit back and watch other people talk them from us. Also with this whole gay marriage thing. I am all for Gay rights but not for Gay marriage. The main reason is that marriage, came from God. The whole idea of it is from God and always has been, so trying to get gay people "married" is ridiculous. No way will God ever allow gay marriage. It goes against his whole plan of happiness. Let Gay people have the same rights as married couples do with the government and state but don't call it marriage because that is mocking God. I feel like this is just a way for homosexuals to feel like they are getting approval from God in what they do because that is where marriage comes from. Even if they can eventually get it to be called a "marriage" God will still never approve of there actions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that both perspectives have valid points. However, I most closely side with the idea of “not giving in”- despite the consequence. I believe that accepting the statistically supported conclusion that "Gay Americans are eventually going to win..." is necessary. However, by accepting a probable outcome of the ever-pressing issue of gay marriage, I believe that it is essential to not compromise our standards just because the odds are against us. I believe like a pop culture song lyric states “It’s all about the climb” (Miley Cyrus: The Climb). As trivial as that statement may seem in the seriousness of the issue, I believe similarly to the lyrics that it is the journey that holds the great significance. The “climb” of facing such controversy shows a lot about the people of the church and no matter the outcome, will benefit those who are involved through giving them learning experience. That is why I believe that not giving in is the correct thing to do in the condition of standing for what one believes and knows to be correct.

    ReplyDelete