Monday, January 31, 2011

Gender Roles - Interviews with Children

These interviews with children are very interesting. Children develop gender schemas while they in their first few years of life. How does this happen? Does society train children to think this way? Do parents force these ideas into the impressionable minds of their little ones? After all, if these are all true sources of the development of these schemas, is it a bad thing that it is occurring?
Personally, I believe that boys and girls are born differently. I believe that there are innate, natural differences. I also think this is a good thing. Along with this belief, though, I think that gender roles are a social creation. After all, one individual cannot have a role by him or herself; a role comes when differences exist among individuals and they learn how to choreograph their relationships. Society has very strict guidelines for what fits in particular gender roles. I believe that these stem from natural characteristics possessed more in one gender (in general) as opposed to the other, but are pushed to the extreme. The roles that mostly fall in with one gender become strict guidelines to what individuals should and should not do. It is amazing that these strict schemas are in the minds of children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWc1e3Nbc2g

3 comments:

  1. I find it interesting watching these children be interviewed because it is obvious that they have had gender roles instilled in their minds at a very young age. But there is a flip side. In one of my psychology classes, we watched a video of an experiment on children to see how they would react to stereotypical "boys" and "girls" toys. The children involved in the experiment were very young, before the age of gender recognition. Each child was placed in a room with both kinds of toys and left to play. Even at that age, the girls would play with the "girl" toys, such as baby dolls, and the boys would play with the "boy" toys: such as cars and trucks. I feel that as a society, we do instill these gender roles within children, but at the same time, there is a instinct within people that we are born with of who we are. This all relates back to the nature vs. nurture argument, and in my personal opinion, I feel that it is a combination of the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to go even younger there have been studies done on babies, not even a full year old yet, and gender stereotypes. They were shown two pictures simultaneously, one of a a person doing something gender specific and one of a gender specific violation (a man putting on lipstick). They have found that even at that age a child can recognize a violation of the social norms.

    I have no comment on the inherent good- or badness of this situation and the associations imparted, that is very subjective. But I do believe that this underscores the importance of paying attention to how we interact with youth. They are very impressionable and we, as part of their socialization, have a big impact on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kylie. As humans, we all seek role fulfillment. Both boys and girls look to their role models for correct behavior. They begin to mimic and feel satisfaction when they do so successfully. This of course can change due to cultural differences or even a young daughters desire to be more like her father or older brothers, resulting in a tom boy.

    In American culture, gender roles are pretty well cut and dry. As is evidenced by the children in the video's feelings about clothing and occupations. Unfortunately, these gender roles may get difficult for people of a certain sex to behave in a way that is stereotypical of a certain gender, i.e. a man being emotional or a woman providing for a family. This becomes an even bigger problem when a person of a certain sex feels they should be the opposite gender.

    ReplyDelete