This article was in the New York Times a couple weeks ago. It begins with one man's opinion of the role of a husband/father. In turn, Nicole Hardy wrote about her experience being a woman in the LDS church and her reaction to the man's statement.
Because we are students at BYU we are members of the LDS church or are surrounded by members of the LDS church, I found it particularly interesting to see that she defined herself as "singe, female, mormon, alone." To her, being a single, mormon woman is a way to define herself - or a way she doesn't want herself defined anymore.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/fashion/09Modern.html?pagewanted=2
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I found this article very interesting. It is true that there is a stigma attached to women in the church who are over a certain age, but while the author wanted to have a relationship, she was unwilling to cave to social pressures from church members as well as from non-Mormon individuals. I was shocked when I read that the authors "problem" was that she was too independent. I have always felt that being able to take care of yourself lent to forming a stable relationship but it seems men want someone to rely on them.
ReplyDeleteI didn't think about going back to page one to start the story. I read the ending before the beginning. This made a huge difference. I read of a practicing Mormon woman that had not been able to get married and finally she was ready to partially give into her sexual desires and into her need for love from a man. The title then didn't make sense to me. She was calling herself “Single, Female, Mormon, Alone” but to me it was more like “Single, Female, Cannot keep being a Mormon, Alone- till now”. In a way, I judged her and placed in a group of society that was giving up on their true values for something worldly. I know, terrible. But then I read the first page and everything made sense. I saw the real struggle and I now more than supported her. I could see myself in her shoes in several years but at least I have already been exposed to the “we don’t want to feel like there is nothing to provide for you” idea. And now, I kind of was impressed by her openness and willingness to break from a social group and find her happiness.
ReplyDelete