Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Reparative Therapy

I think there is a lot of misinformation out there about same gender attraction and therapy. I took an LDS Perspectives on Psychology class last semester and the professor showed us a video of Dr. Jeffrey Robinson, a clinical psychologist who treats homosexuals who are interested in changing their sexual orientation. The video blew my mind, I had never heard anything that he talked about. Previously I had always pictured reparation therapy (or conversion therapy as it is also called) as a shady, unethical, ineffective practice where your pastor locks you in his basement and administers electric shocks while showing you pictures of shirtless men. This speech changed my whole outlook on it. It also presents an interesting theory of origins of same gender attraction.

Here is a link to the transcript:
http://www.theguardrail.com/transcript_printable.htm

Dr. Robinson doesn't make the argument that everyone has the potential to change their sexual orientation and become attracted to the opposite sex through therapy, but he does present some interesting information that a surprising amount of change is possible.

-Jared Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment