Monday, January 17, 2011

Who's Version of History?

Interesting viewpoints on both sides.
What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. This scenario seems a bit messy. The fact that the schools are teaching ethnicly diverse viewpoints is by no means a problem. However, if they are truly teaching the over-throw of the current American democracy, then that could be a problem. The video seems to capture views from both sides, but doesn't really delve into the true content of the classes. The interviewer speaks to people who claim to be authorities in knowing what is being taught, but never do they actually read through the text, or sit through classes sufficiently so as to provide enough information for me to make an informed decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a flaw in the school's desire to teach this way.
    One of the reasons I enjoyed my high school history classes in high school was because of the different cultural background in one class. We would learn about the event that took place from an American perspective, then all talk about what we thought. This would bring up how other countries may have seen it, and sometimes would bring up how certain religions feel about how the government responded.
    In these special classes where the children learn American history from the perspective of a certain culture, they are missing out on what other cultures' perspectives may be. The classes lack diversity of ethnicity. For example, in the short video clip of the Hispanic History classroom, most of the students seemed to be of Hispanic descent.
    I think the intent of the teachers was good. Wanting the students to see outside the normal perspective to enhance their understanding of the event from all sides is a good thing. But, they could also be creating a dangerous level of pride for one certain cultural perspective that the students learn from because of the segregation of the classrooms.
    Therefore, the government had a legitimate cause to be troubled and worried about the situation. Whether or not they did the right research before closing down the program is not portrayed in this video clip.
    - Alena Wild

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can really see the both views of this problem. At one point, they should try to integrate all the views of different cultures in one US History class but that's not as easy as it sounds. I am not saying they shouldn't try though.
    On the other hand, it's not a bad thing to have classes about different cultures' views because it would only expand the minds of the students. I always thought that the education is to help us expand our minds and think for ourselves. I don't believe that those classes teach students to overthrow the government but simply teach them to see from other cultures' views.
    Perhaps they don't want the students to learn about other cultures because they are afraid that they will go against the immigration law they recently passed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The attorney general Tom Horn states "you can't have courses designed for a particular ethnicity, or that arouse resentment against other elasticities...or teach the over-throw of the American government".
    I actually agree with this part of the bill because he doesn't want to have an ethnic separation. I agree with what Weston says that there really isn't enough information given to agree or disagree with the bill.
    I believe that they should have specific courses that teach different cultures. I believe that they should do what many of the Universities in the nation do and offer many courses that teach diversity of culture, but I would require them to take 2 or 3 courses that teach other cultures viewpoints so we can become more diverse in our thinking and hopefully in our way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems to me that the big push for keeping the classes is to inform students of different perspectives from different cultures, and I think that's very valuable. However, I can understand Horn's concern about racial separation into specific classes. Such separation could isolate ethnicities and only cause more ignorance toward other perspectives, instead of offering a variety. Why not combine 'Mexican-American Studies', 'Asian-American Studies, 'Native American Indian Studies', etc. into a 'Multicultural Perspectives' course? This could give students an opportunity to address important issues and, as alinawild said, create an atmosphere of respect and involvement where many different perspectives are available for discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see both sides of the story. It does seem like the cultures are being seperated and I can see a problem with that, but I also think it's important for children to learn about differen perspectives. One student who posted above me mentioned a "Multicultural" perspectives class and I think thats a great idea... Another option could be to have these different "studies" classes, but to require students to take a studies class different from their own race.. so an Asian-America student could take any studies class but the Asian-American studies class. I think that having children take a "studies" class learning about their own race and background, really isn't make them more cultured at all.

    ReplyDelete