What if the south had won the war? The following video clip is a commercial from a mockumentary called The Confederate States of America and addresses what a family insurance company commercial might look like had the civil war ended differently. This is an interesting video when taking into consideration what life could have been like if racism was still as prominent as it was then. However, it is important to remember that just because traditional prejudices are supposedly less common as this video illustrates, how many people would watch this clip and find it to be in place? Just because traditional prejudices are less common, doesn't mean that new prejudices aren't increasing.
In what ways is this mock-commercial similar to commercials today? Are traditional prejudices really gone?
I thought this was interesting because I'm from North Carolina, where in many places the Confederate flag still waves proudly. Really the Confederate flag is everywhere- bumper stickers, front yards, in stores- but I don't think it's necessarily a sign of racism; it has become more of a sign of regional pride (pride in living in the South). I'm not saying racism no longer exists, because it definitely does, especially in the south. Traditional prejudice is still pretty prominent but I do think that we as a society are moving away from the traditional prejudices of our grandparents and toward a new prejudice, as the book discussed.
ReplyDelete