Arab-Jewish blogger and two other passengers strip-searched after suspicious behavior. Is this government actions against these citizens justified?
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Flight on 9/11 anniversary ends in handcuffs for housewife
Flight on 9/11 anniversary ends in handcuffs for housewife
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You can read about the whole incident on her blog:
ReplyDeletehttp://shebshi.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/some-real-shock-and-awe-racially-profiled-and-cuffed-in-detroit/
I can't believe this kind of stuff happens in the U.S.
I just read the blog that she wrote with the details of her experience and I seriously feel sick. I think what happened was incredibly unfair and truly shows that the terrorism that happened 10 years ago is NOT over. The idea of terrorism is to make people live in fear. And that's exactly what has happened. Singling out these three passengers on the plane, simply because of their skin color and perhaps the day that they chose to fly, proves that many in America ARE still living in fear. There is a huge difference between being alert and aware of suspicious situations and being paranoid and suspicious of situations simply because of the ethnicity of the people involved. For example--to the person who alerted the security of the reported "suspicious behavior"--I would like to ask if they would have felt just as threatened if it had happened to be two white men who got up to use the bathroom one after the other? How would that situation have turned out? My guess is quite differently.
ReplyDeleteI am appalled that this situation occurred in the way that it did. However, I can see where both sides are coming from. While, it is true that the housewife was picked out based on the color of her skin, but we cannot forget what happened 9/11. All of the destruction that happened because of the terrorist attack. There is no way to be able to tell if someone is a terrorist or not, the only thing to go based on is suspicion. They were wrong this time but what if the situation was reversed and the people were in fact terrorists as the stewardesses assumed, there would not be as much uproar. The truth of the matter is that there was racial profiling but it's the only way they know how to do so. This reminds me of the many Japanese Americans that were imprisoned during Pearl Harbor, fear tends to heighten irrational behavior. I feel bad for what happened to these three individuals, but I was once searched three times before boarding a flight. It was annoying at that time but then I thought about how much safer I felt afterwards.
ReplyDeleteIt is so saddening that things like this still happen today in America. It upsets me that as a society, Americans have lumped every person of Middle Eastern decent into a category of Bad and Suspicious People. We forget that it was extreme, radical Muslims that attacked our country, not the entire Arab nationality. If a white man were to have done the same thing, we wouldn't suddenly be afraid of every white person we came in contact with! It's absurd that something as simple as skin color can turn sitting quietly in one's seat into a "suspicious" act.
ReplyDeleteI understand that tensions are still high, especially on the 10th anniversary of the attacks, but humiliating three people because two of them happened to go to the bathroom at the same time is ridiculous. I am all for safety and security, but that's crossing the line.