Sunday, September 4, 2011

Special Needs Employee

http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo/video/stops-grocery-clerk-abuse-10695340

Here's a video I feel really strongly about. It makes me cry every time! Maybe it's just because I'm majoring in Special Ed, but I feel like the injustice towards these individuals is so wrong. And it's not like they can't tell that you're putting them down! I think this video might have 1 or 2 cuss words but nothing too obscene. Just thought I'd let you know. Anyways, what do you all think about this? Are there certain people in this video that you would stand up to, and others that you wouldn't? Is it fair that people with special needs get mainstream jobs? I think you know how I feel about it, but I want your opinion(:

8 comments:

  1. I have seen this show many times and it always shocks me how people can treat other people like that. I am so surprised that the first woman didn't say anything. Then again I would to think I would say something to defend a mentally retarded employee but I also hate confrontation and avoid it at all costs. I agree with the second lady that said some people do have to blow off steam or just have a bad day here or there. However, there was another woman that said we have to stand up and our silence is condoning that bad behavior. Which I completely agree with. Silence is worse than contributing to the abuse. I would feel horrible if I saw someone in the grocery store saying those kind of things. It should be totally unwelcome and unwanted behavior in our society unfortunately it is not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dsilski--
    I agree, that kind of ignorance in society shouldn't be tolerated. I have a sister with autism, so I understand how some people may not understand and react badly when all they need is the opportunity to understand other people's situations. We certainly need people to stand up in these situations if not to defend the abused, then to prevent and future ignorance. Also, I don't think anyone should treat a grocer that way whether or not they have special needs. If anyone has any valid complaint about a worker, shouldn't they consult the manager?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this video. We had a special needs girl in our young women group back home. I took her to a movie one day and it was crazy how differently we were treated. Some people were kind, but others would make rude comments under their breath whenever she talked during the movie. People shouldn't be afraid to express the importance of tolerance and having patience with people who are different from us. I loved when the women said "he's somebody's child. Aren't you?" and "How would you feel if that was your son or daughter?" ...So great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved this video. I don't get how people could be so cruel and so insensitive about people with disability. I have a brother who has disability, more specifically who's deaf, and I do not tolerate people making fun and abusing him. Every person is a human being no matter what their condition may be and deserves to be treated as we wanted to be treated if we were in their position. I also do understand where those people that did not stood up for Josh came from. I, myself, am not comfortable at confronting people with any issue unless it were someone I'm very close to, usually family. But this experiment video taught me that keeping my silence is not the solution for this problem. I need to stand up for what is right and that is defending the rights of the disability when they are being abused.... P.S: I love the fact that it was usually women who stood up for Josh... just saying! lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This video makes me sick. I have a cousin who is exactly like this and some people really do act like this towards him. There is always people complaining to my aunt that she needs to watch him very carefully if she wants to bring him out into the public and all this other crap. Even though she was purposely doing this to see how people would react, with the first couple people they did not do ANYTHING! I think that they should have least told her to keep it to themselves or something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think most of us know someone with a disability of some kind, so it's appalling to think of them being mistreated to the degree shown in this video. What I found most interesting was how the people in the store responded differently to each of the actors they brought in to verbally abuse Josh. Personally, I think I would have been most wary of standing up to the adults. I actually don't think I would have said anything directly to the abuser at all because I am pathetically non-confrontational. Most likely I would have waited until they left and then said something encouraging to Josh. This video definitely makes me want to get over my reluctance and stand up for the people/values that need to be defended.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a special place in my heart for people with special needs because I have two aunts and a friend who are disabled. So the thought of any person being that ignorant and small-minded as to make fun of or degrade a handicapped person blows my mind. I literally can't even imagine how anyone could lack THAT much self-respect to go and verbally abuse a disabled person, or anyone for that matter. Yet, from watching this video and reading the comments above, I guess there are people like that, which is really sad.

    My handicapped friend, who I mentioned before, has always known that he is handicapped. He KNOWS that he doesn't speak well, and that people can't understand him. He KNOWS that he looks and acts differently, and because of that people feel awkward around him. He KNOWS that he can be a burden. And because of this knowledge, he is often afraid to be the amazing person he is. But he shouldn't be. He is doing some of the SAME things that I am, like going to college for goodness sake! That, in itself, is an incredible accomplishment for him and for anyone else. I think we need to remember that injustice in any form is wrong, and no matter how hard it may be, it is important to stand up against it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think most of us know someone with a disability of some kind, so it's appalling to think of them being mistreated to the degree shown in this video. What I found most interesting was how the people in the store responded differently to each of the actors they brought in to verbally abuse Josh. Personally, I think I would have been most wary of standing up to the adults. I actually don't think I would have said anything directly to the abuser at all because I am pathetically non-confrontational. Most likely I would have waited until they left and then said something encouraging to Josh. This video definitely makes me want to get over my reluctance and stand up for the people/values that need to be defended.

    ReplyDelete