Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mississippi teen charged with capital murder in alleged hate killing

This is a tragic reminder that racism still exists in our society. This murder of a black man by white teens was caught on tape (warning: the video is graphic and disturbing).



The full story is available at the following website:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/20/justice/mississippi-hate-crime-charge/index.html

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is ridiculous. I can't believe someone could do such a thing for such a ridiculous reason. This kid seriously had a problem. I'm absolutely speechless. Beating him wasn't enough, they had to run him over too! The fact that the teen laughed about the fact that he killed a black man was just over that which I can comprehend. Where was this kid's conscience? or did he even had any? He should at least get the life-in-prison sentences with this proof!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very disturbed watching this video. It's hard for me to believe that there are still such racist people in America. This crime was sad and completely racially-motivated. I hope they find all of the teens who participated and punish them all. No one should ever be allowed to get away with such a crime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What drives people to think that something like this is okay? I cannot possibly begin to understand this teenagers thought process. It is extremely sad to know that there are still those in certain parts of the country who hold on to prejudices and pass them down to their kids! It is sad that parts of our history still linger and that others have to hate what is not like themselves. Just because someone is different, does not mean that doing any harm to them is allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tone of the report says enough about how abnormal this kind of thing is. Although such extreme hate crimes still exist, it seems pretty evident that they are not common place anymore. I think today we accept different kinds of evils, but things like this, thankfully, are at least now considered atrocities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was difficult for me to watch and even fathom what happened on this video, especially since it took place only several miles from my sister’s house who lives in Mississippi. Located in the deep south, the state consists of majority white and blacks. It is still evident, from this video and personal experience, that there continues to be a sense of racial conflict; and it goes both ways, whites to blacks, and blacks towards whites. In the video they mention time and time again that this was an act motivated by hate. What worries me is that there are a million things that a person could hate so what, or who, is next? It made the video even harder to watch knowing that the boy who did it was only a year younger than me. One year! Would I be capable of doing something so horrific because I hate someone? It is clear to see that there is still hate out there, and I hope that it opens people’s eyes.
    C. Meyer

    ReplyDelete