Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Keeping them honest: Stop bullying

Another tragic case of a young teen killing himself after years of being bullied because of his sexual orientation.

6 comments:

  1. What I thought was sad was how people were telling this kid he was going to hell. If you are Christian and believe in a place like hell, you are also taught that you are suppose to love everyone and let God judge, but because being gay or bisexual is so socially looked down upon and not very well accepted people think it is okay to ignore these these other principles. It just shows that what society deems as wrong outcasts other people. It is sad that it ended taking away the life of this kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am getting so discouraged by the fact that stories such as this are not at all uncommon these days. We need to figure out a solution to discrimination so that we can uplift one another rather than beat them down. I'm not saying that I agree with acting on homosexual tendencies, but since people do, we need to be more supportive instead of demeaning.

    What is so sad is that people all too often label themselves as being true Christians, when in reality they act nothing of the part.

    I agree with the comment above in the sense that society seems to be controlling the mindsets of our human race; things that have once been in our society keep carrying on even if they are not at all beneficial, ideas are carried forward which isn't helpful in cases such as this one.

    I feel so sad that anyone would ever feel that there is no place for them on this earth, because we all have a different part to play.
    My best wishes go out to this boy's family and loved ones.

    -Addison Soelberg

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many things came to mind when I listened to this story. First, it reminded me of the day in class that we talked about a young man that also struggled with same-sex attraction. He had battled with it endlessly, and was trying to do all that he could to suppress the feelings. He served a full-time mission, keeping his feelings in check. In the end, it became too much for him because he felt that he would never overcome this obstacle, and he too took his own life.
    I also thought of what it means to be a Christian, and that it means believing in Christ and His teachings. Despite any sexual orientation He may have intended us to have, He never ever would have looked down upon someone who is different.
    Although it is unknown where these feelings stem from, and whether or not they're biological in nature or not, it is not our place to judge. It's tragic that foolish judgments and ridicule can drive another human being to suffer so much the he no longer has the desire to live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The caption box describes this video perfectly. Jamie really was bullied to death. It is so sad to see that people are so cruel at such a young age. Can you even imagine how horrible you would have to feel about yourself in order to kill yourself? Jamey must have really been depressed and unhappy. Why? Because of some bullies at school that got entertainment out of teasing someone who felt a different way than most do. As I listened and watched this story it really hit home. Someone I am very close to admitted they were gay recently. As shocking as it was at first, I don't love her as a person any less than I did before. I can not imagine the criticism that she received once people found out. I can only imagine what kind of grief Jamey received for being bi and it is appalling to know that it happens all of the time. This is only one of millions of stories. God loves us all and he loves us all the same. So what gives us the right to treat our brothers and sisters like this? Nothing does.

    - Katherine Watts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Newman argues that bullying is just a part of growing up, and there’s “no reason to have a special bill for, let’s say 3% of the population. Period.” After hearing Jamey Rodemeyer’s story, that number becomes something more meaningful. It becomes a face with a devastating story attached. Has bullying always led to such extreme measures (suicide)? Do you think people are harsher and less accepting? Or do kids now have more controversial struggles that evoke bullying?

    I believe that the media plays a huge part in this issue. Many kids will hear Jamey’s story and compare their similar battle. Will his story encourage a martyr type approach or a fight back one? Will bullies be fueled or back down?

    ~Hannah Trimble

    ReplyDelete
  6. Listening to this video and watching Jamie's commentary was really hard. It's difficult to imagine that someone so young would be dealing with that intense of emotions and bullying. When children are bullied because of major social issues such as homosexuality, it's not easy to know if the child really understands the meaning of and impacts of labeling themselves as bisexual or homosexual. They're at a point in life where there are a lot of changes going on in their body and emotions that are hard to understand.

    Regardless, it is obvious that bullying levels are extremely high and unregulated. It really frustrated me when Anderson Cooper mentioned several different organizations believe anti-bullying programs are simply hidden means of pushing a "gay agenda." There are so many different forms of bullying besides just homosexual bullying that these programs help. Beyond this, a major focus of our church is in finding a balance of tolerance, which I think is extremely crucial when the intolerance is aimed at children, who are the ones that really need support.



    -Ashley Packard

    ReplyDelete