If you’re LDS, it’s important to consider this now that a gay man is serving in a San Francisco ward bishopric. Mitch Mayne identified himself as being gay but he’s still in the bishopric.
The issue is being debated throughout the Mormon Internet community, with comments ranging from just how gay Mayne is, whether or not he’s a practicing gay, how long it’s been since his last gayness…
People are morons. Why should any of that matter? Apparently it does, though. When I opined on one website that being gay doesn’t preclude any kind of spirituality, it made someone mad.
Him: "Would you want your bishop to be gay?"
Me: "How do you know yours isn’t?"
For the record, I wouldn’t care whether my bishop was gay. What I’d care about is whether he gave me good advice, kept me on some kind of speaking terms with God, and generally cared about me. It would also help if he kept any fashion tips to himself.
Ironically, the greatest condemnation lodged against Mayne seems to come from other gays and lesbians. He’s roundly condemned by them for being a Mormon. It’s like they didn’t learn a single thing from the horrible way we’ve treated them.
A gay man in a Mormon bishopric. Big deal. We could all be so much more if we just shut up about each other.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifestyle/52494665-80/gay-bishop-bishopric-mormon.html.csp?page=1

The fact that he's gay should not be what people are concerned about. More importantly, what is he representing for the gays in the LDS church? As a bishop, he'll have people in his ward that are going through the same things he has and they probably have questions they need answered. Having him as a bishop could actually help the sticky area of gays in the LDS institution.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the first comment. This could actually be very helpful for other people who are gay in or out of the Church. I also believe that since he was called to the bishopric he was called by God. As long as he is not practicing then it doesn't matter if he is gay or not. There are plenty of good people in the world who are gay and Mormon. It might actually broaden some people's perspective in the world.
ReplyDeleteTracy Voelkl
Like I said in class, whether it's a big deal or not depends on how you define gay. In this situation it's obvious that he's sexually attracted to men but lives according to church standards. That being the case, then good for him. I guarantee there have been many other bishopric members in this church that have been attracted to other men. We just didn't hear about it, either because they weren't public about it or because it's no big deal anyway. He'll be a great help in fellowshipping those in the ward dealing with the same issue. However, as he's the executive secretary, the bishop will still have to be just as in tune with the Spirit to help those individuals as only bishops can. And if they are to feel comfortable in the ward the rest of the members will have to take their cues from Brother Mayne as to how to effectively welcome them in. Any ward's executive secretary can only do so much.
ReplyDeleteMy assumption is that our generation is far more accepting of the "non-traditional" then, lets say, our parents and grandparents. I'd like to know what they think of all this. I'm sure some are thinking this is a sign of the second coming.
ReplyDeleteI read some of the comments from the actual article from the tribune website. Some of them talked about gay meaning that you have relationships with people of the same sex. I don't think that is the case at all with Brother/Bishop Maynes. I'm sure that's how some people define it and it kind of goes back to what Joshua said in class and in the comments, but in this case I am almost positive that they are defining (or at least brother Maynes himself) gay as being attracted to people of the same sex. If he was going by their definition of gay then he definitely wouldn't still be a bishop because our church preaches against acting on any same sex attraction impulses we might have.
ReplyDeletePersonally I think it is awesome that there is a gay bishop. I am sure that it has happened plenty of times and we never heard anything about it. I think this will help people outside the church and inside the church see that we don't believe that being gay (defined here as being attracted to people of the same sex) makes you a horrible person. It shows that the Lord loves gay people just as much as anyone else and that he trusts them with important callings in the church because they are just regular people that just happen to be attracted to someone of the same gender.
I think it's a good thing for everyone.
-McKenna Talley
Initially when I heard about this story in class, I have to admit that I was kind of taken aback by the title. A gay bishop? Really? In my traditional Mormon born-and-raised mind, I was confused about how something like that could happen.
ReplyDeleteBut then I began to look more deeply into this situation. I thought of people that I know that were born and raised in the church, and then later left it for a gay lifestyle. I've seen their families become heartbroken because they no longer embraced a gospel-centered lifestyle.
So the way I see it, the fact that this man has been called into a bishopric is a real blessing. He is an example to so many people who struggle with same sex attraction in the church. Here is a son of God who struggles with same sex attraction and yet is living righteously in the church, is worthy of a temple recommend, and is serving the Lord in his calling.
What an example to all of us--gay, or not, of a righteous church member who is overcoming earthly struggles and living worthy of the Lord's blessings.
-Alissa Holm