Saturday, September 3, 2011

Katt Williams doesn't apologizes for rant directed at Mexicans

It turns out that Katt Williams didn't offer the apology that was released. In fact, notice how he says that he can't apologize for anything he says during his comedy routine.



Are we making too big a deal of this, or do you think he should apologize?

5 comments:

  1. While I do think that Katt Williams may have stepped over the line in his "jokes" about Mexicans, I do not think that he should be required or pressured into apologizing. Katt said it himself in this clip--if people are offended by his jokes (which tend to be pretty sketch even when not considering this recent racial faux pas) then they should not attend, watch, or book his shows. Katt Williams, as a stand up comedian, has the choice of what to say in his shows. The great thing about this free market/capitalism is that if he continues to throw out offensive material then he will begin to lose his fan base, popularity, and (in the extreme) may need to seek other employment. There really is no point in forcing someone to apologize as such an apology would be meaningless. If Katt Williams truly feels no regret for what he said, then let the chips fall as they may, and those of us with a moral compass can begin to seek alternative forms of entertainment.

    -Kassandra Larson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kassandra in that Katt Williams has said clearly a majority of his fan base is Mexican and he isn't anti-Mexican in any way and he shouldn't be coerced into apologizing for the graphic nature of his comment to "one" Mexican. That's what you buy when you go to that show. I don't think what he said was offensive or anti-Mexican. He was trying to make a joke, this heckler tried to steal the show and Katt made sure that he understood that America is a great country, a free country in which people can exercise the freedom of speech. I do understand that his shows are extremely graphic and can be seen as racist to some audiences, but you have to be open to "freedom of thought" when you attend one of his stand-up shows. With that being said, he did apologize for any anti-Mexican message that may have been said, but being forced to apologize for his "offensive jokes" is, I think, a breach of his right to free agency. I think he will lose the heckler from his fan base but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with the comments that have been given. While I don't condone offensive and racist statements, I am in full support of the freedom of speech. Forcing Katt Williams to apologize for what he said would serve a meaningless purpose. First of all, the apology would not be sincere. This is clearly seen especially after watching this video. Also, this would conflict with his freedom of speech. Agreeing with the previous comments, everyone has the ability to either listen or ignore the material Katt Williams put out. There is no reason he should be forced to apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of the above comments. It drives me insane when people immigrate into this country, but don't truly embrace it. They still hold allegiance to their home country. If they love it so much, they should go back. When people immigrate here,they need to be willing to learn our language, our history, and our laws. They should want to become a citizens. They need to know what makes our country so great and how it came to be. They need to realize the conflict and trials that our ancestors went through to make this country so wonderful. It wasn't easy and it needs to be recognized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we are being too hard on him. He's a comedian. Anything he says is nonsense.

    ReplyDelete