Monday, October 24, 2011

Celebrity Mormons

If you're a fan of the Killers, or even if you're not, this video is definitely worth watching.


Brandon Flowers has been the lead singer of the Killers since its beginnings. Concert tours have often taken him away from home for extended periods of time, and have led to many disagreements with his band's management. In spite of the difficulties of living a celebrity, rock-star lifestyle he has a family with kids and admits that it is very rare to see such a lifestyle at such a "young" age for a rock-star.

While on tours with the Killers, Brandon was often approached by members of the LDS church who had "outgrown" the church and thought of Brandon as a sort of brother-in-arms.

LDS celebrities have to deal with different challenges than most "run-of-the-mill" members. Even just attending a regular ward can be difficult once they are recognized for who they are.

Why do Mormons love to talk about famous Mormons? What makes them so interesting to the rest of us?

13 comments:

  1. I really admire Brandon Flowers. It's very hard in today's society to have good, strong values and still be seen as such a huge celebrity in the world's eye. Most people today think if you aren't singing about drugs, sex, or all the other bad things in the world then it's not good, and not worth listening too. But Brandon manages to pull it off. As well as having a wife and family so young, also something not seen as the most popular thing to do. I hope he continues to stick to his values and continue to stay family oriented and not let the views of the world change him.

    Sarah Brinkerhoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think famous members of the LDS church are so compelling because they evidence Mormonism's applicability in the modern world. I can only imagine what people like Brandon Flowers and Mitt Romney, just two examples of LDS church members who have risen to the national stage, must experience in the course of their respective occupations. What prejudice exists is amplified in the voices of those willing to speak publicly against these men and others in similar situations. With that in mind, why would anyone remain a member of the church if their testimonies did not outlast the prejudice against them? I am impressed with their integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so rare now a days to have Mormons celebrity that are still strong in the Church.Most Mormon celebrity get caught up in the fame and the money that they start drifting away from the church and eventually turn against the church. I guess, many talks and admire those rare Mormons that do make it at the music business and still are able to uphold the church's values and support and take care a family. Brandon Flower us definately a unique and special someone to be able to pull off what he's doing in the Music business.

    -Gabriella Paongo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was amazed when I watched this video. I knew that Brandon Flowers was a member but figured that he was not active because of his circumstances. Looks like I was wrong. I think it is really awesome that he is able to remain faithful and still be a in successful band. That takes a lot of dedication and faith. I am also impressed that he was willing to make this video. He is really putting himself out there for criticism. I wonder what people that are not Mormon will think when they see this video.

    -Phil Lundrigan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know Brandon Flowers was a MORMON!??! okay, So he amazing first off, but with the fan part of my comment out of the way here comes the serious stuff. I think the reason we get so excited about famous people being mormon is because it is sorta a rare thing. Also if they are a Mormon and they publicize that they are representing our church more than ever. This video just brought the biggest smile to my face seeing his cute family and beautiful wife and hearing how on track he is. I think often times too we as everyday people can't really relate with the 'rich and famous', but when we find a similarity with someone as successful as Brother Flowers we are able to get inspired to do great things for the world like he has with music. I think it takes real commitment to stay in this church at times in our lives and real determination to live righteously and to see a person working hard everyday and balancing work and family life is inspiring. More power to him!
    this also just goes to show the impact a mother can have in the life of their children! He mentions a few times about his upbringing in the church or that his mom took him to church growing up and how the rooted him in the gospel. That to me is just another testimony of the need for righteous women in this day. Cause who knows the child you could be raising.

    By: Melanie Dean

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, personally, find it so refreshing to see celebrities that are strong members of the church, such as Brandon Flowers. I believe that it does good for everybody: members and nonmembers alike. Members can see what has been accomplished and be reminded that although we as a church don't conform to the world's standards, we can still make a difference and do the things we love. Brandon Flowers has accomplished his dreams and is doing what he loves in a way that is still in harmony with the church's standards. I think that nonmembers (especially those with limited knowledge of the church) sometimes forget that Mormons are "real" people, too. They have some image of what Mormons are and what they aren't. When members of the church are on the public stage, the rest of the world can see that there isn't one definition of what a Mormon person is like. We are unique individuals, just like everybody else

    Maddie Greenhalgh

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always admired Brandon Flowers. I've always been really into music, and I go to a lot concerts and see all kinds of bands perform, and think about the lifestyles that they have and sometimes it is really sad. It really is refreshing to see guys like Brandon Flowers living out their dreams, but still being who they are. I think that this is one of the most intriguing things about 'famous Mormons'. We, as Mormons, love to see others like us being able to accomplish their goals and live their dreams without compromising their beliefs or their faith. It seems like this is harder and harder to do, especially in the music industry right now. That is why it is so awesome to see people like this who can still do it. They provide inspiration for the rest of us, and give us hope that it really is possible to follow our dreams and still be strong in our faith, which is extremely important.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing to me how the media and avenues like Mormon.org and blogs are creating awareness to the LDS faith. Certain members that have a lot of attention like Brandon Flowers and Stephanie Nelson of the blog Nie Nie Dialogues have really helped people get to know Mormons and see how they live their lives and that they are actually normal people. There are now ads for Mormon.org on subways in New York City, who would have thought that would ever happen?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brandon Flowers has justified my faith in mormonism! I think that the reason I, and many other church members, love hearing about famous mormons is that we love seeing our religion put into action. We love seeing people like Brandon Flowers, David Archuleta, and Glen Beck who believe all the same things we do and are making a prominent place in the world. They can be seen as advocates for our faith in a world that is spiraling downward morally. They are examples to members and nonmembers alike of people who live and and practice their faith in daily life.

    -Alissa Holm

    ReplyDelete
  11. One reason why this is so cool to me is the fact that by having these celebrities as a strong part of our faith shows that you can still be LDS and do what you love to do! You can become a famous singer, writer, artist, etc. You do not have to put away your morals and values. They should and can be an integral part of you in your career and daily life. Many members go into this industry and are influenced to slowly slip away from their morals. If you are strong and faithful, you can be whatever you want to be and still have a strong testimony. Go Brandon!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What I found interesting about this video is that when you go to its page on YouTube there are a lot of negative quotes on the page. About how the church was only showing this (And other "Mormon" clips as well) for commercial purposes and to advertise. And they think that is bad of us to do. I feel that this is something great that the church is doing. I think that its fantastic that the church is spreading awareness of who we are and what we believe in. That people know that those, "Mormons aren't those funny people with eight wives and horns growing out of their head." We are regular people who have a strong faith and testimony in what we believe in.

    -JB Wing

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think mormons just like the fact that we can relate more to these celebrities. I also think it's a psychological thing that we connect that people have accepted them then maybe they will accept us.

    ReplyDelete