It's funny, but definitely clear about excluding women from the drink, "It's not for women!"
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This blog is designed for a class at Brigham Young University. Students use this blog to discuss elements of our multicultural society that we learn about in class. Due to the limit in the number of authors allowed, only students will be able to make posts on this blog. We welcome comments to the posts. Our hope is that this blog will foster dialogue about a number of difficult issues regarding diversity, which in turn will help us to better understand other people's diverse perspectives.
I think it was interesting that the clip had army men, as if women do not participate in combat as well as men. It was as if they were trying to redefine the barrier between men and women since sometimes it can be a bit "grey" as to what are exact male and exact female approved activities. Just the simple fact that the commercial states that " you can save the romantic comedies and the lady drinks for the ladies" shows that they are categorizing women into the classic roles that society labels.
ReplyDeleteOne of the things that I thought was so dumb about this commercial was how a drink, such as Doctor Pepper 10, can only be for men not women. I do not understand how a drink or any of the things stated in the commercial can only applied to men such as action movies, combat, and apparently that drink. Many women like and participate in many of those things. I just think it is pathetic how the commercial has to put down women and use stereotypes in order to make Doctor Pepper 10, a low calorie drink which are often geared towards women, manly.
ReplyDeleteFinally, a drink for me.
ReplyDeleteIt seems like a really stupid idea to purposefully cut out 50+ percent of your potential market. I don't even understand how you could market this under a society that is so conscious of women's rights and women's roles these days. This would be the equivalent of having and Air Jordan commercial and saying "it's not for white people". I just don't see how we can allow such blatantly stereotypes of gender but not for race.
ReplyDeleteI remember the first time I saw this commercial I turned to my husband and said, "well that was stupid." I agree with what was said by Ezra above. Why would you cut out 50+% of the market that will be buying your product.
ReplyDeleteAlso, why would you blatantly make stereotypes in a commercial that aren't really true anymore. Women fight. Women can be strong. Women can do all of those things in that commercial. It might have bugged me more because I'm a girl and they were clearly excluding me from the commercial..but helloooo it is a drink! There aren't gender stereotypes for who can drink what drinks..well maybe there are with certain alcoholic drinks, but i don't drink those and hopefully noone else here does, but my point is that it's a soda.
Also, I'm pretty sure it would have been better marketing to men if they HAD used a girl dressed in army attire doing all that stuff. It probably would have made the guys pay more attention.
I just don't get it. Don't get it at all. Especially from a marketing standpoint because obviously it's gonna tick off women.
-McKenna Talley
"It's not for women?" So, what is that suppose to mean? Is it suppose to mean that women don't work as hard as men so they don't deserve such a "cool" drink like Dr. Pepper 10? Not only is this commercial going to make women mad, and some men as well I'm sure, but it also won't target a very wide audience. To only appeal to the male audience is just stupid. Women go to the store and drink soda just as often as men do. This commercial is obviously very sexist which will offend many Americans. Because of this, it will make people not want the drink. Which is the opposite of what the commercial should be doing. They obviously need the money, that is why they are marketing their product, and this was a horrible way of going about it because they won't get as much "business" as they were hoping from this commercial.
ReplyDeleteKatherine Watts
Well, although I do not agree with this commercial and think that it is extremely risky into a society where women have fought so hard for rights, they did create a commercial that will stick with you, perhaps not for the reason many companies would like, but I must say that because of their bold stance I have thought much more about Dr. Pepper ten, than I have any other soft drink recently advertised. And I am not going to lie, I personally would rather see them appeal to men this way, than to have some woman used as a selling point. I feel that the way the media degrades the body is just as offensive, if not more offensive than playing on gender stereotypes.
ReplyDelete