Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This blog is designed for a class at Brigham Young University. Students use this blog to discuss elements of our multicultural society that we learn about in class. Due to the limit in the number of authors allowed, only students will be able to make posts on this blog. We welcome comments to the posts. Our hope is that this blog will foster dialogue about a number of difficult issues regarding diversity, which in turn will help us to better understand other people's diverse perspectives.
While I was watching this, what came to mind were the events that surrounded the beginning of slavery and racism in the United States in the 1600's. Russians who marry immigrants, will have their citizenship revoked. That sounds a lot like the miscegenation laws that were passed by many southerners and northerners in the USA.
ReplyDeleteIt was interesting to me to see that these sentiments that we have worked hard at suppressing in the USA, with some successes and failures, are emerging and becoming a dominant train of thought in the USSR.
Anyone who believes that it is okay to harm those who have come into any country for a better start do not deserve to have any voice or say in a country. The best way to handle the problems of immigration is to take the issue before the governing bodies of the country, and establish laws with specific rules for enforcement.
It's interesting to see a country turning to a regime that they so openly fought against, and died for throughout World War II and the reign of Hitler. They focus their same ideals on the Nazi ideas, and it's scary to see they even have some government support, as well. I think the biggest problem, and obstacle to stopping these groups is the media exposure. Because of the internet, these groups and attacks are easily broadcasted, and help to recruit more followers.
ReplyDeleteAlthough we feel like racism is a thing of the past, it's obviously not. This is a problem that we will be dealing with forever in the struggle for racial dominance.
As I was watching this video, I felt like I was reading a history textbook, not watching something that is currently happening. Sometimes it is so easy over here in happy valley to feel like everything’s going well in the world – to think that all the horrible things we learned about in our history classes are in the past, and the human race has advanced so much that we are above the brutality of the old days. It’s unfortunate that it’s easy to forget that this is not the case.
ReplyDeleteWatching this video, I found it amazing and terrible that so many are involved in this movement. It was horrifying to see all the violence they were perpetuating, and all the hatred they hold within themselves, and are spreading across Russia. This was evidenced in the fact that one of the men who made the propaganda videos got such sick pleasure from knowing he started the videos, and that others would see them and start killing immigrants too.
I don’t understand how people can hate another group of people so much – people they haven’t even met, just because of where they’re from and what color their skin is. I can see why they are frustrated at them for taking their jobs, but it honestly seems incredibly childish. Why should any native inhabitants of a country have privileges over immigrants? What it comes down to is that they were there first. I don’t see how that is any valid argument, and why everyone can’t inhabit the same place peacefully. I guess on the bright side, at least Russia has opened up to the gospel now. Maybe that will be the beginnings of change, and the gospel rolling forth will be the factor that finally brings change to Russia.